Friday, September 28, 2012

Blessing counting

Oh, how I’d love to be that blogger that puts out a little happy post three times a week. It’s dedication that I just can’t seem to reach. Perhaps it’s the consistent need of raising the kiddos, survival mode during the afternoons, and just trying to remember my head on my shoulders. Yet, here I am, trying to write because I really do enjoy this blog of ours:)

Ever have one of those days, or weeks, when it seems your not doing anything right? You try to accomplish good, but you say the wrong things, or do something stupid, make more mistakes trying to learn and grow, and basically you just want to go back to bed and not face the world? Yea, those are humbling times. Combined with the whole family catching a cold, it can really help you to remember to slow down, pray better, and be very gentle on yourself.I think that’s the best part, remembering to be gentle on yourself. Us girls sure can struggle with that, but times like these do make you count your blessings more, and that’s a good thing.

I was so blessed to attend Time Out For Women last weekend, a big warm fuzzy conference with great talks and moving music. It happens every 2 years here, and I love it. It was a nice mom break for me. Sweet Shaun was home with the kids, while I was away for a day and a half. So thankful.

Here’s my sweet friends and I. I’ve know these gals since I was 15. They are such an inspiration to me, and I love them dearly.

IMG_1002[1]

Sweet Heather. We grew up in the same ward. I remember going to weekly church activities with her, and laughing at her funny brother’s sense of humor. Now, we’re moms with kids. Wow:)

IMG_1005[1]

Jericho Road, fun mormon boy band. Last time I saw them perform, it was 2001 at Ricks College. Holy crap, where does the time go?

IMG_0992[1]

One tid bit of notes from Julie De Azevedo Hanks:

Honor your emotions-It’s ok to feel mad and sad. That doesn’t mean you’re not Christlike.

Investing in your own growth-It’s not being selfish to spend time on yourself and your passions.

Celebrating the good in you-Acknowledging your god given strengths is humility.

Another great thought from Emily Freeman:

When was the last time you had an answer to your prayer? If not in the last three days, you need to change the way you pray.

Good stuff, huh?

Here are a few more blessings:

IMG_0984[1]

These no bake cookies. It’s my second cookie recipe I’ve found that is a healthy alternative to regular cookies. They passed the test, and they taste great! Recipe here.

IMG_0985[1]

Getting dirt, a lot of dirt, for the garden. Such a great thing!! Ethan sure enjoyed playing in it for a bit, which called for an early bath that day:)

IMG_0983[1]

The blessing of finally being able to own this book. It will be a great help in our school adventures.

IMG_0971[1]

For boys and their enthusiasm with the outdoors, and more dirt:)

IMG_1011[1]

For a friend who inspired me to get a bread maker for dirt cheap at Deseret Industries. The boys wanted to cook stuff in it, and got their play food out. Good times.

IMG_1012[1]

IMG_1015[1]

The joy of seeing it work, ha ha!

  • For a washer and dryer that works
  • A home to have the sick kids rest in, books to read to them, and Netflix to find fun shows
  • For the newly acquired knowledge of soaking grains, and making oatmeal that really fills up the kids!
  • For friends who are forever being kind to me, sharing things with me to help the kids, and who may not know just how incredibly thankful I am for them.

Those are just a few of my blessings. For those who are reading this, please know that I look up to you, and I thank you for your example. I read your blogs, and see your presence at church, outdoor activities, and Facebook. I learn so many great things from you all, and just wanted you to know that. Thank you, friends:)

1 comment:

  1. Always an inspiration, Erin. I always come away wanting to be better after reading your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete