Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Contentment

“Everything that is not written down disappears except for certain imperishable moments, people and scenes.” — James Salter, “The Art of Fiction No. 133,”

Beautiful quote. I just love quotes. Journaling is vital and soothing to the soul. I am not very good at journaling every day. That would be great, but I just haven’t seemed to reach the daily goal, but I do try weekly. That’s pretty good, I think.

I seem to have a few places I journal in. This sweet blog, for one. I must print it out at Blurb. What a great treasure that will be.

I also discovered from a friend the app “Day One”. It’s a simple journal app that makes consistency actually happen with my journaling. You can add a picture to your posts, and you can print out the posts into a PDF. Excellent. It’s $5, but well worth it.

Then, there’s the beauty of the handwritten word. I try to find time to sit down and write. I long for my handwriting to be as beautiful as my relative Cindy’s handwriting. Practice. Above all, I love the idea of a tangible book, with my handwriting, passed down to my generations.

IMG_2781[1]

I went to the Power of Moms retreat in town this weekend. It was a lovely workshop for strengthening mothers, and to gain strength and ideas from a group of other devoted mothers. It was such a treat to attend. It was held at a fellow homeschooler friend’s home, which is basically a castle of comfort and wisdom. Amazing home.

Picture used with permission from Tiffany Sowby.

There were many things that I learned, and it will take some time to apply them all, but one thing I really loved was the ‘contentment basket’ idea.

Basically, the vital importance of nurturing the person inside the mom, and to seek for contentment. The need to set aside time in the day to have time to feed your soul.

My friend who spoke on this topic showed us her contentment basket filled with good things; scriptures, a journal, a current book she was reading, exercise stuff, things to create, etc. All things that enrich and uplift. I just loved it.

IMG_2795[1]

I put my basket together today of good things. Oh, it was such an idea that resonated with me. Another gentle reminder that it’s so important to take care of myself emotionally and spiritually, so that I can find joy and be the best I can for my family. The goal now is to be consistent with finding my quiet time to seek contentment.

There were many more things I hope to share in future posts. For now, this is a little tidbit of sunshine for you.

The Power of Moms website is a tremendous source of help for all moms everywhere of all denominations. If you haven’t seen it, do check it out. They have great podcasts often that can be heard on itunes or your phone. The blog posts are written by many mothers, and the topics are always spot on with common motherhood trials and themes. It’s just a great place. So blessed that the sweet co creator April Parry made the website five years ago, and is passionate about helping other mothers.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the basket idea too. In fact, I went and bought myself a basket yesterday. Like you, now the struggle is actually finding (and being consistent) with the time to use it.

    It was so great to meet you at the retreat.

    Keep up your good work.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great ideas! I noticed the title of the book next to the basket: is it worth the read?

    ReplyDelete