Monday, August 1, 2011

A sweet family

There is a sweet and tender family in my church who have been struggling with a very hard trial. Their daddy had a very serious form of cancer, and they have been trying hard to find a way to help and heal him. The mom is young, with a couple of beautiful daughters. The support from friends and family, the fundraisers and endless amounts of service, have been wonderful. Sadly, last week, he quietly passed from this life to the next. It breaks my heart to even think about it. We know that he was welcomed home by loving family in the spirit world, and is free of pain, but it’s still hard for us left behind on this earth. I cannot stop thinking about the sweet mom and daughters, and the grandfather, mourning for their husband, daddy, and son.

Yesterday was a special experience. At church, I play the piano for primary, which is the class for all the children. The primary president was teaching the children about service, and what we could do to help others who are sad. She spoke of the oldest daughter of this family, who is missing her daddy, and explained more about what happens when we die. She taught it so beautifully, emphasizing that when we die and leave behind loving family, we go the spirit world, and  there are more family members waiting there to greet us with open arms. Among the teachers in the room, there wasn’t a dry eye. We all couldn’t stop thinking of what this family must be going through right now.  I thought about him, along with my Mom, and Shaun’s Mom, and Mom’s other daughter Cindy. People who I knew well, and remember clearly socializing with on this earth, and who I miss dearly. I thought about how they were doing up there, in a much happier place, and how much we on earth miss them.

The president then had the children write letters or draw pictures for the daughter, to serve and love her in this hard time. I did my best to play soft, sacred prelude music while they worked on their letters. I felt so privileged to provide music that day. Teachers quietly helped the kids with spelling and such. All 60 kids were quietly working on their letters, and for ten, very brief minutes, the room felt very close to heaven. Very close to what it feels like to enter an LDS temple. It was so wonderful, and then it was time to go.

Oh, how thankful I am to know the gospel truths, that life does not end when we die. Families will be reunited again after this life. This life is so very small and brief compared to our eternal journey. So short. I remember attending funerals while serving a mission in Florida, and the sad atmosphere because people thought that was the last time they would see their loved one who passed. Oh, if the world could know the comforting truth of what happens to us when we die, and that we will see our family and friends again. Hence, the immense importance of the sweet young, 19 year old and 21 year old missionaries who are out there, knocking on doors, getting tons of rejections, trying to share these truths with those whose hearts are open.

Just wanted to write this down today. I hope to do better at enjoying the moments with my family and friends who are still here on earth.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Erin. You really have a way with words and bringing the Spirit through what you have to say. I LOVE reading your blog because I am ALWAYS uplifted. You are an amazing person. I just wanted you to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had many of these same thoughts this summer as we went up to Idaho to attend my grandmother's funeral. Thank goodness for the knowledge of the Gospel. I can't even imagine the pain that would come from thinking that I would never see my loved one again. Still, it is hard for those left behind. My prayers and thoughts are with that young family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are sorry for your loss Erin. We have gone through something similar this month. It's so bittersweet and I'm happy to have the gospel. We'll pray for those sweet girls!

    ReplyDelete