Monday, February 13, 2012

Sundays

I dream of Sundays that are days of rest. I have not experienced those types of Sundays since college, when naps were a gift to have. With young kids, restful Sundays just don’t seem to happen that often. Ever. Yet, it makes me search for the good moments of that day, the moments when I can actually hear the speaker at church, and learn something wonderful. Shaun and I try every Sunday to make it a good day. Here’s our attempts:

  • From this very good post HERE,  we started to build some Sunday bags to rotate each week. So far, I’ve only made two. Oh, well. I’m getting there:) It has helped tremendously to plan better and bring things for the kiddos to survive the 45 minutes of sacrament meeting.

We started taking better control of the TV, now watching only Sunday appropriate stuff. We’ve watched the scripture story cartoons, church DVDs, and occasionally and old movie here and there.

It sure takes a conscious effort to make Sunday different than all the rest of the days, but it does make the day better. Many parents have said to me that church gets easier as the kids get older. After a year or so, we are finally starting to see it. For the first time in awhile, I am finally starting to hear the speakers at church, and get spiritually fed. Oh, it feels so good. I need it so bad.

My sweet Ethan started having a hard time again going to his class at church. For some reason, he just would cry and struggle going. I prayed and prayed that yesterday he would be ok, and would not be scared. I thought about when I was young and going to kindergarten for the first time. Long ago, Mom told me I cried the whole time, and didn’t want to be left there. Thinking of this helped me have full empathy for my little boy. Some sweet angel teachers helped him calm down. I’m so thankful for them. We picked him up from class in better spirits. Snacks and crafts sure can help!

I just love these kids of ours. I don’t understand why they throw huge fits sometimes, and struggle with stuff. I just am feeling a renewed goal of seeking the Savior more in my parenting. Why haven’t I done this more? It would make everything so much easier if I just keep thinking ‘How would Jesus parent this child? What would he do on those really, doggone hard days?’ I know I sure have a long way to go, but I think just trying to think this way means I’m on an uphill climb.

The gorgeous sky yesterday, when I was leaving choir at church. Seeing this just makes me remember how good it is to be alive, to walk, and to see beauty like this.

IMG_0534[1]

The good moments of Ethan being a big brother to Brooke. He loves her so much.

IMG_0535[1]

IMG_0541[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment