Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kevin’s birthday

My darling little Kevin had his 4th birthday! His birthday was in the midst of our long sick time, when we were all getting the flu and colds from each other. It was rough, but we tried to do a little something for him. So thankful that we finally got better. Here’s our little celebration at home. We’re pretty simple sometimes, cupcakes and a present.

100_1422

100_1423100_1425

100_1428

Kevin really loves tools, so Ethan and I went to Target to pick out something for him. It was fun to have a little date with Ethan. Love doing one on one time with the kiddos when I can. Ethan has to show Kevin’s present to him, of course:)

100_1431

100_1433

100_1434

He’s so stinking cute. Things about Kevin I love:

  • He loves his blankets, still, and has to sleep with at least three of them.
  • Love his talking Spiderman plush toy.
  • Has the cutest giggle, and will go flying off the couch onto you when he sees us all playing on the floor. Has no fear, and can turn into a little, giggling wolverine in a second.
  • Loves to play “I Spy Bingo”, and work on his letters.
  • Always tells me’ Mama, you’re good. I want to keep you.”
  • Loves to wrestle with Ethan on the couch, constantly laughing.
  • Is still small enough that I can hold him all cuddled up in my arms.

I think I’m finally learning to slow down and enjoy them being little. I just think, ‘Wow, Kevin’s 4! Ethan’s getting so huge, and Brooke is moving towards toddler years.' Please slow down, but they won’t. They keep growing. It makes me think of this wonderful quote I saw on Pinterest. Oh, I love this one!!

“You will never have this day with your children again. Tomorrow, they’ll be a little older than they were today. This day is a gift. Breathe and notice. Smell and touch them; study their faces and their little feet, and pay attention. Relish the charms of the present.

Enjoy today, Mama. It will be over before you know it.” Jen Hatmaker

Isn’t that beautiful? I just love it. It nails what I need to be doing every day with these sweet kids. Just enjoy every moment with them, even when the challenging days come. Each day is a gift.

I love taking the time to just hold them. I’ll sit on the ground, and call out ‘Who wants held?’, and they will come running. I usually have to take turns and hold each one for a second, but I think they get a lot of security and peace from just being held.

I love being their Mama. I love making good food for them, and creating a safe haven for them to live in. We’re not perfect, they still stress us out some days, but we try. That’s all you can do. Don’t ever, ever beat yourself up and let your thoughts dwell on the negatives. That’s just what Satan wants you to do, so you waste precious time not ‘relishing the charms of the present’. We just don’t have time to waste thinking thoughts that don’t get us anywhere, but that lesson can take a long time to learn. Just don’t forget how blessed you are to be alive, even if its really, really cold right now! Ready for some warmer days, that’s for sure:)

No comments:

Post a Comment