Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Our baby Brooke

Ok, here’s the hospital story!

Monday morning, Shaun and I dropped the boys off at a friend’s home. They had fun playing with their kids, and had their first sleepover there. So thankful.

Shaun and I arrived at the hospital at 8am. Pitocin got started at 9am, which led to all day of waiting and waiting. Snuck some fries from Shaun at lunch. Watched a highly relaxing movie for labor, the newest “Transformers”, ha ha!

Nurse finally breaks my water at 5pm. Dr Paul kept checking on me, and wondered why the heck they didn’t break it earlier. I had to agree.

Then, things picked up. For fun, my epidural decided to wear off. From 7-8:30, I got a taste of what natural labor felt like. Wow. I just remember hanging on to the bed rail, having ridiculous thoughts like “I’m dying. The end is near. Goodbye, beautiful world.” It hurt so, so bad. We kept waiting for the epidural guy to get back and fix it, increase it, something. Just had to wait since he was with other patients, and such. All Shaun could do was hold my hand, and pray for me.

Finally, at 8:30, relief came, the pain subsided, and I passed out into a great nap for an hour. At 9:30, the nurse checked me and said, “Oh, it’s time to have a baby”. Great words to hear. I tried my best to wake up and get ready to push. Two pushes, and she came right out. So very grateful. It’s always so neat to see what’s been inside of you for 9 months. We couldn’t get over how much cuter she was than the boys were at birth. She’s definitely a girl, and she’s adorable!

IMG_0284[1]

IMG_0285[1]

IMG_0288[1]

Love these pictures we have so far. I think Shaun really likes her. It must be true, that daddy/daughter stuffSmile

Sadly, Brooke is in the NICU right now. It’s not the end of the world. She has jaundice that requires photo therapy. She and I have different blood types, and that causes issues. They say she has to be in there 24-48 hours. Hopefully, she can come home Thursday. Everyone who has left their baby in the NICU knows it leaves you emotional and for boys, really grumpy. Yesterday, I was able to come home, and everyone was in the yuckiest mood. Ethan was ornery, and finally said to me, “I just want baby Brooke home.” Shaun and I were both bummed that we had to do this again, as Kevin stayed in the NICU also. I have just been trying to keep it together, make sure everyone is fed well to help the grumpy feelings stay away, and pray that she can come home soon.

IMG_0290[1]

This is the light treatment she’s getting now. I called this morning, and she’s eating great, doing fine. It’s just the waiting that stinks. Waiting, waiting, to take her home. So, that’s what we’re doing now. Just waiting, again.

Thanks so much for all the kind thoughts on FB. Thank you for caring about our little family. Everything will turn out ok soon enough. Gotta spend time with the boys today, and try to pass the time. The boys were happy to see us again, and are trying to understand where Brooke is now. Love our boys.

10 comments:

  1. Hang in there Mama, it is the worst to leave your baby at the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hugs! Natural labor is really bad... lol and I've done it a few times! I'm sorry the boys are being so grumpy for you :(

    Sending prayers for a quick recovery for Brooke and to you. Get the rest you need before she comes home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh, same thing happened to me, the epidural wore off on my right side for an hour and it KILLED. i don't know how those pioneer women did it.

    leaving my baby in the nicu made me grumpy too! it's definitely hard. but i'm so glad it's for something common and easily treatable. i hope she comes home soon! and congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you. I hope Brooke comes home soon. I'm so excited for you to have a little girl. They are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I hope and pray she can come home soon to such a great family! You are awesome Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke is beautiful Erin! So sorry she has to hang out in the hospital for a while. She's in our prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, so you experienced the I'm gonna die!!!!!/I didn't die/I'm gonna die!!!!! cycle. No fun, but you're definitely a trooper! Good work! Brooke is cutey and I hope she gets to come home soon! ♥ you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! She is beautiful and before you know it, she'll be home and you'll be your complete family! So happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, I love that she already has a chubby little double chin! So cute! You'll be in my prayers that she can come home soon! Call/email/text if you need to chat! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is adorable! Congrats! And I am sure that by now, she is home with you all and you are hopefully falling into a little routine. Hope all is going well. Thinking of you. :)

    ReplyDelete