Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My favorite getaway

We’ve been home bound for a bit, getting through colds. Thankfully, Brooke is fine, while the boys and I are getting through our sniffles. I’ve been the nurse all day for the boys, making smoothies with orange juice so they’ll get some vitamin C, putting oils on all day, and hanging out on the couch with a comforter over us watching Curious George 2 for the hundredth time. They love Curious George!

This is one of  my favorite things to do; go to Smiths all by myself, ha ha! Sometimes, when Shaun gets home at night, I’ll run to the store for a few things. I love to take a moment and stroll to my favorite parts of the store. I took a few pictures in the store just for fun to blog about. I know, this is a silly kind of post, but I like it:)

IMG_0448[1]

I love going to the special cheese section near the deli. Look at this! There’s a whole world of wonderful cheeses waiting to be discovered. Ever since falling in love with Food Network early in my marriage, I learned that there are a lot more cheeses than just cheddar. I’ve only tasted Fontina and Gouda, oh Gouda, so good. I still need to taste Brie, Havarti, and White Cheddar. I just love looking at all the cheese. Sometimes, there will be little samples left out to taste. That’s a great night when that happens!

IMG_0449[1]

This is the health food section, and I consider it a little museum of my life. Growing up, my Mom was way into health food, the pills, condiments, hygiene supplies, and more. Most of the stuff she used is here in this section. I love to walk slowly, uninterrupted by kids, look at everything, and just take time to smell. It’s crazy how just a smell can bring the sound of her laugh to my mind, the memory of me being a young kid playing video games, and more. Isn’t it amazing how a smell or a song can bring back so many memories so clear in your mind?

IMG_0450[1]

I’m such a nerd, taking a picture of me and this bottle, but I grew up with this stuff. Mom and I put it on everything, mostly pasta and veggies. It sort of tastes like soy sauce, but has it’s own taste for sure. I just see this bottle, pick it up, remember Mom, and feel thankful to have her memory in my heart.

It’s been almost 4 years since she passed away, and some days are still hard. I can’t even begin to describe how hard it is to not have your mom on earth to talk to on the phone, and get hugs of encouragement and love from, but somehow, comfort and peace is found in the small things of prayer, seeking the spirit, and just trying to do the best you can where you’re at.

Shaun and I talk about our moms and think about how their both doing in heaven. It’s neat to think that now we’re parents, trying to learn how to raise these little sweethearts, have incredible patience with them, go to bed each night and wonder if we’re doing this job ok. I’m so thankful that I can be a mom, and give hugs and tickles to these guys, wrap Brooke up in blankets and talk to her, and just take care of their needs. It’s such a turn of the tables to be a parent, but it sure is humbling.

3 comments:

  1. dude, Erin you did it again :) you made me tear up reading your post! Sorry you guys have been sick :( no fun. Hope to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simple stuff is the best! Strolling through the grocery store without kids is also one of my favorite things, but it is harder to do now that I live 30 miles from the nearest grocery store! And smells definitely bring so many memories. :) Hope you are having a wonderful Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Stilton Cheese. Had it once in a green salad with dried fruit (could have been cranberries, could have been cherries, I don't remember). Oh my, that was good cheese. I can't find it in the deli section, unless I go to Sam's Club, but I've promised myself one of these days I'll bite the bullet and get some. Darn imported (English) cheese prices.

    ReplyDelete