Sunday, June 10, 2012

The hair story

Ha! What a silly post this is, yet it’s been a very educational week. Just wanted to share what I’ve learned, and here we go:

Last weekend, I stumbled onto a pin on Pinterest about washing your hair without shampoo. I was intrigued, and read more. I read and read and read. I read about not washing your hair with shampoos that contain Sodium Laurel Sulfate, and silicones. I learned that the sulfate is a harsh detergent, same thing used in dishwasher soap, and it strips your hair of its natural oils, thus making your hair super dry  and sometimes frizzy. I checked my bottles of Pantene and sure enough, there was the Sulfate in the ingredients. The results of all these people I read about not using shampoo was this; their hair was much softer, healthier, and their curls were more springy and beautiful.

I read this link, and this link.

I wondered, ‘How awesome that their hair seems to be in a much better stage, but how do they keep their hair clean?’ Many answers and a bit overwhelming. A good scalp massage is what helps in cleaning your hair. Friction and agitation lifts the oils and dirt, like what a washing machine does. Some washed their hair with a baking soda mixture of 1 tablespoon of soda to a cup of water, and replaced the conditioner with an apple cider vinegar rinse. The baking soda removes build up, and the ACV rinse makes your hair super soft. The cider smell is gone from your hair once you rinse it out, so no worries on that one. Some do wash their hair with a sulfate/silicone free healthy shampoo about 1 or 2 a week, and use a conditioner every day. They also used a leave in conditioner afterwards.

I continued on my hair education quest, and discovered Lorraine Massey, the founder of the Curly Girl method. You can get her book from the library, and it’s a good read. She is a curly/wavy hair advocate, and has great tips on taking better care of your hair. She also advises to not wash your hair with the sulfate crap, and to use different shampoos and conditioners. I watched a ton of youtube videos on her.

So, last Sunday night I showered and just used conditioner. Here’s what I’ve learned since then:

  • The next morning, my hair was softer, and began to do some neat spiral curls. I stared in the mirror, holding the curls and going, ‘wow!’. I felt silly, but was so excited to see my hair do things I haven’t seen it do since I was a teenager.
  • I tried the baking soda and ACV rinse. That was interesting. Different. I did a good scalp massage with it, and noticed that my hair was really soft, and didn’t smell like vinegar.
  • I went to Smiths, got some good sulfate/silicone free conditioner from the health food section. Natures Gate. Nice stuff.
  • I now dry my hair gently with a cotton T shirt, one that Shaun kindly donated. It’s more gentle than a terry cloth towel on your hair.
  • I’ve been having more and more good, no, great hair days!
  • I get super excited to shower and take better care of my hair. I really am a dork.

Saturday, I went to get my hair cut by a fabulous hair stylist recommended to me. In 10 minutes, she quickly styled and snipped away at my hair, and put it in a fabulous cut with more bounce and better layers. Love it!

We talked and talked about the ‘no shampoo’ method. She gave me the other side of the story, which I’m thankful to hear. I always like to hear the whole story, and make a logical decision. This is what I learned from her:

  • From not shampooing my hair since last Sunday, I had major buildup on my hair. She took some strands, pushed down a bunch with some scissors, and showed me this white, greasy buildup that came off my hair. Definitely yucky, yes. You don’t want that kind of buildup. Perhaps I did not do enough baking soda or scalp massage, or whatever! I’m still such a newbie in this topic, and have much to learn.
  • Washing your hair every day with Pantene is not good at all, what I’ve been doing. Store brands like Pantene and Herbal essences are not great, as they are 80% water, and the Salon brands are about 10% water.
  • Using the right product is key for your hair.
  • Using a clarifying shampoo once a week will help remove the buildup. Using the right conditioner for your hair will bring back the moisture.

So, I’m going to try using Paul Mitchell’s tea tree shampoo once a week for the buildup removal. I’m skeptical, as I don’t want to lose the great softness I’ve been experiencing, since it’s a sulfate shampoo.  As with a science experiment, you have to try numerous tests. After trying the salon shampoo, I may try the Nature’s Gate Tea Tree shampoo. The thing I’m realizing is for my thick hair, I don’t need to shampoo it every day. I need the moisture big time in order to have the great curls come back, but definitely don’t want buildup. So, maybe just wash it once a week, and condition every day. I’m sure I will learn more good things by next week, and get a better handle on this.

It all comes down to this; I want to take better care of my hair. I want healthier hair. I’ve been on mommy survival mode for a long time, and my hair has been on the back burner for a bit. Since this last week, it has felt so good to treat my hair better. So good. Just the simple changes of using a cotton tshirt, and scrunching it in the shower to improve the curls have been worth it.

If anyone has done this type of hair method, do tell me what you’ve learned:)

Thank you for taking the time to read a silly yet informative post all about hair. Goodness! I will write more posts with better substance soon, ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. Actually this was very interesting. I'm gonna go look and see what's in my shampoo and conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. I think I need to take a look at this stuff, too. I am growing my hair out and one of the things that makes me want to cut my hair is how dry it can get. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete