Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Thoughts about Friday

Shaun was out running errands with the boys, and I was home resting from the flu bug. I was on Facebook, and I saw my friend’s status about a horrible school shooting. I went from there to the internet, and looked up the news. My heart sank, and my stomach felt sick for the rest of the day. I saw pictures of sad, scared kids, and could not believe what I was reading, what just happened a few hours before I got on the computer.

I wanted Shaun and the boys to come home fast. I wanted to hug them so hard, smell them, and hear their laughter. It tore me up to think of the parents who lost their kids at that school. Thinking of the first responders who had to walk in to the scene and see the mess was too much to bear.

A friend of mine on FB knew one of the families personally. They lost their daughter. I glimpsed at the father’s FB page, and saw the countless people writing many tender and heartfelt words to him, expressing their deepest sorrow over his loss.  It was so sad.

I’ve offered so many prayers since Friday for the families of Newtown. I’ve thought of the shooter’s family, and the heartache they must be feeling. The news doesn’t mention anything about his funeral. I saw a beautiful picture of the Savior holding a little child in his arms. That’s where they are now; in the arms of the Savior, and in a perfect, peaceful place.

Since Friday, I’ve tried to move a lot slower. I’ve tried to be more patient with the kids, smile more at them, and hug them more. I told them that we needed to pray for the families who lost their children, and that someone didn’t choose the right. I’ve tried to live in the moment more, and notice the sunsets and beauty of the earth. I prayed for thanks to be alive, and have another day with my family.

This is the change that’s come over our family since that awful Friday, a change that has probably happened with many other families all over the nation. May we take the time to slow down more, and to be more gentle with our kids, more patient, and smile more at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment