Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Fall Garden

 

Hooray for the fall season, which means a second chance at gardening! I learned a lot this summer. First off, I wiped out my tomato plants from over watering them. The leaves got tons of black spots, turned yellow and crusty, and disintegrated. It was a sad sight. The soil they are planted in is rich and wonderful in nutrients and retains moisture quit well. So, I don’t need to water them 4 times a day!

Also, I didn’t have problems with hornworms this year. It was the dang birds! They kept jumping into the garden, and flying off with cherry tomatoes. The boys and I saw this happening from the kitchen windows, as we ate. I had to resist yelling “Shoot it!” whenever one would hop in there, trying to be a good mom. I heard that you have to pick the tomatoes before the birds get it.

The winners this year turned out to be the peppers! They survived the mass watering. I did have problems with bugs eating the leaves and holes in the peppers. I went down to Leslie Doyle’s house, (tomato lady), and asked how to use her bug dust properly. Apparently, I wasn’t using enough dust in my spray bottle. Now, the back of the leaves are covered with the spray, and so far, the bugs are taking a break on the peppers.

Here’s regular bell peppers:

IMG_0243[1]

Flexum peppers, my favorite. I love slicing these up, and throwing them in the freezer to use later. These peppers do so well in the desert!

IMG_0244[1]

Its so wonderful to have herbs again! Below are mint, thyme, and chives.

IMG_0245[1]

The little arrangement of two tomato plants, (which will be done by November, or the first frost), some broccoli, and romaine lettuce.

IMG_0246[1]

My grapevine finally started to come back to life. Dang spider mites destroyed it for the whole summer. I’ve got to talk to people in town who grow grapes amazing, and learn their secrets!

IMG_0247[1]

Some humble little basil, which may grow quite massive. Can’t believe how huge this herb can get!

IMG_0248[1]

Broccoli! This stuff can grow all winter long. I learned from some people at Star Nursery that you just cut off the main head when its medium size, and side shoots will keep coming up, bringing more broccoli. Sweet!

IMG_0250[1]

The freak, amazing tomato plant that grew out of the desert soil. Have no clue how this happened!

IMG_0268[1]

And, here’s some growth after I sprayed the plants with the kelp spray. They get big quick!

IMG_0271[1]

IMG_0272[1]

IMG_0273[1]

Love how huge this Lantana plant gets each year!

IMG_0274[1]

Such a great sight, ah!

IMG_0275[1]

So, next year, don’t over water the tomatoes! Now, I’m only watering them twice a day for 5 minutes. They seem to like that better.

2 weeks left till Brooke comes! Hoping to get induced on the 3rd. I’m wondering if she’s going to take 13 hours to come out, like the boys did. I just get so dang hungry by the 6-8 hour. Gotta eat! Trying to enjoy the last, few nights of a full nights rest. Oh, sleep, I will miss you so much. I hope I can function to take care of the boys. Lots of prayers and striving for more simplicity in the home. I got some wonderful Laura Scudder’s peanut butter and organic strawberry jam for super sandwiches. They tasted so good.

Just praying to not go into labor before the primary program this Sunday, and to finish editing the wedding pictures. I know that I will probably not be getting up at 5am when Brooke is here, but its still nice to do that now.

2 comments:

  1. My dear Erin, you've created a virtual oasis!! I love knowing you garden and garden so well!!! I love you lots and lots and lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, your garden looks great! I especially love the Lantana plant. I hope you're hanging in there okay. The last two weeks of pregnancy is usually when I"m the most cranky! :)

    ReplyDelete