Saturday, January 7, 2012

Humbling times

Ready for a good story? Well, here we go. My life has been filled with adventures. Everything from living in a car with my mom for a small time during 1994, to learning about country life living in Kooskia, ID, (hearing the sounds of a car engine miles away and knowing that its your friend driving up the road, milking cows, cutting trees down for firewood, oh, the joys of country life!) I’ve lived with loads of roommates and experienced the most amazing, spiritual college experience at my beloved Ricks/BYU Idaho college. I spent a small time living in Carpinteria, CA with Mom, near Santa Barbara, one of the most beautiful places to live ever. Fresh flowers at church every Sunday. The beach 5 minutes away. Healthy food everywhere. Each place I’ve been is such a chapter, and my goal is to write it all down for my kiddos to read someday.

Well, here’s the chapter we are in now. The week before Christmas, Shaun came home from work early. I was overjoyed. He was really worried. He was suspended without pay till who knows when. We tried to not worry, and prepare for Christmas. Still felt like we were on pins and needles about his job. Yet, we tried to forget it on Christmas day, and have fun with the kids and their presents. Right now, Christmas feels so far away, but it was a lovely day. The kids got some wonderful presents from family and friends, and our little stash that we started getting slowly starting in September. 90% of their gifts came from Amazon or Ebay. It was so exciting to get packages often in December. LOVE online shopping!

All that time, we prayed and prayed that Shaun wouldn’t lose his job, deathly afraid of not having income to pay all our cruddy bills. A few days later, Shaun got the news that he lost his job. That was a hard day. It’s a shock and a let down, total fear of ‘what are we going to do?’ and lots of tears. Hard to hide that from the kids. They are so precious and innocent, and you just want to take care of them. Went to bed that night emotionally exhausted.

I knew that I could choose not to tell anyone about the job loss, or I could speak of it and ask for help. I chose the latter. We needed help, and I knew that people would have wonderful information and caring support. I emailed a few friends that night asking about food stamps, Medicaid, etc. I knew we were going to need that resource badly. I mentioned the job loss on Facebook. I am continually overwhelmed and humbled by the response. 43 comments  that day of support, encouragement, messages, and more. I can’t express my thanks enough for all the kindness of everyone. It has helped so much. It sounds like everyone has been through this before. I guess its our turn now.

Saturday was fretting, planning, worrying, praying, and brainstorming on what to do. Sunday was a nice break to attend church, listen for guidance and spiritual messages, and enjoy sitting together for the first time in 4 years in Gospel Doctrine class. Shaun and I were released from our callings in Primary, the kids classes. Sitting next to Shaun in the ‘grown up’ class felt like a dream, although I do miss being around the kids.

The next week, this week, has been quite a doozy. We tried to cut our bills down. We canceled Direct TV. Shaun and I worked on his resume while I enjoyed the “Jaws” marathon on Spike for the last night we had TV. One morning, I had a prompting to get rid of our Nissan Armada and get something more within our means. It was so wonderful to feel the spirit that strong for a fleeting moment. It was like “Oh, there you are spirit, it’s been so long.” I guess you only get strong promptings from the spirit when its something big. Maybe the spirit is with you all along, but you have to work hard and listen better to recognize it.

Well, Shaun and I tried to trade it in for a mini van. That didn’t work. It’s funny how friendly a car salesman is before he checks your credit and sees that your not able to buy a car that day. The change in his behavior toward us was so drastic, I just had to laugh about it as we left. We were going to try Carmax, but realized that we just cannot get a car again through a dealership due to our credit being shot, and the darn sales tax and extra fees. From that moment on, we decided we never wanted to go through that again.

I think it was Monday morning when a guy knocked on our door, a lot, to reposess the car. The dogs barked like crazy, we didn’t answer the door, and he kept calling Shaun’s phone leaving messages. The boys and I stayed in our room and watched Curious George while we waited for the guy to leave. We were trying to buy some time, as we were still trying to figure out the armada issue. We took the boys to the sitter later, ran around like crazy doing tons of errands, and came home. Later that afternoon, the repo guy came back, big guy with a goatee and tattoos. Ethan and Shaun were outside playing, so it was no use to hide. We also felt that it would just be better to let it go. The payments were high, and the stress of it was just not worth it.

That was a hard experience. I told the guy ‘just give us few minutes to clean out the car’, and he was polite. I tried to make the situation lighter by telling him ‘You’re job must really suck’. Yea, probably not the best thing I could have said, but again, it was a hard moment. We cleared out the car, and I patted it, thinking of the summer vacations we took it own, and told the car ‘Thanks for the ride”.

Ethan didn’t quite understand what that man was doing with ‘mama’s car’. I hugged him and tried my best to explain that we’re getting a new car, and that we had a good time with the armada. He watched the tow truck leave with the car, and stood in our culdesac for a long time, watching it go. I wanted to cry seeing that. When the car was gone, we breathed a sigh of relief. It did feel better to let it go, and plan for a car that we can get with tax return, no car payments, and doing better at living within our means.

Each night after the kids went to bed, Shaun and I worked on revising his job resume, and applied for jobs. Some nights got pretty late working on it, and things get funnier when your tired. We got to the end of his resume, and listed his accomplishments. They started out logical, and then got silly with his accomplishments being that he could open a can of soda successfully without it exploding, and that we created three wild kids that make more noise than ever, (well, except Brooke). We laughed and decided to go to bed after that.

We’ve packed the boys and Brooke in the back of Shaun’s old Nissan Sentra. I must say it’s a bit tight and cozy with the car seats. There’s always some blessing. The fact that its not summer, because it has no air conditioning. It’s been stolen twice, and the ignition has been ripped out. We start it with a screw driver. Yet, it runs, and it’s helping us right now.

All of this has forced us to learn quick on budgeting better. I made the homemade laundry soap that the Dugger family from ‘19 kids and counting’  use. It made a HUGE amount! So far, the clothes feel and smell the same as if I used Tide. Go HERE for the recipe, it’s great!’

Here’s the neat stuff that has happened. For the first time in a few years, Shaun has been home for a good while. He’s been working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, for much too long because of our stinky debt. It’s been an awakening. It’s been a dream. He says his eyes have been opened, and he’s learned a lot. The kids and I have been loving having him home. I know that he does have to go back to work eventually, but for now, we are a team, working together to figure out how this chapter will go.

A friend gave us a coldstone gift card, to get some ‘screw you’ sundaes for losing a job:) We enjoyed some ice cream, but made the mistake of going there in the afternoon, thus resulting in hyper, non listening boys afterwards. When will we learn? Oh well, the ice cream tasted great!

I was able to get a baby saucer for Brooke from a wonderful fellow Mom friend. Having her in my home for a moment felt like having a celebrity over. I adore her, read her blog, and she always leaves such encouraging comments to me when I am being a pathetic whiner.

Phone calls from friends have been such great medicine. Just to see how we are doing. Thank you so much.

Here’s our tight squeeze!

IMG_0495[1]

This is what’s most important, not a big car or a bunch of tv channels, these guys. Aren’t they adorable? It has been a rough week, and I’m sorry to say that not everyday has been good with the kids with the stress and all, but I’m glad today is a new day to try again.

IMG_0497[1]

My wonderful bolognese sauce from the Pioneer Woman. It made a huge amount, and tasted great. Me thinks I should have used a bigger pot, huh? Open-mouthed smile

IMG_0500[1]

So, let’s see what next week will be for us. I pray we will be led to the right job soon, and we are still waiting to hear if Shaun got accepted to a college here or not. Hopefully this year will be it  for school! Again, thank you everyone for caring about our little family. Love you all!

8 comments:

  1. Government grants and financial aid can help you get through this too for education. The prophets have said that it's okay to go into debt for education! Look into all those options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Erin! And you're right, I think we have all been there- three kids shoved tight in the back of a car, no tv, no internet, maybe some food, debts, and lots of fear. :) But where there is faith there cannot be fear, so I try to choose faith. :) It's then that we realize what the important things are, how to work together as a team, etc., just like you said. I think it's these kind of times that help our marriages and families become stronger and happier because we have a common purpose and everyone is pulling hard to accomplish it!

    Best wishes for a bright future! Whatever that may be. :) I know Heavenly Father is watching out for you and will take care of you, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you guys are going through this, but you have such a great perspective. Your family is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, you are brave and strong and I know you can make it through this challenging time. I think it's cool that you and Shaun are using your sense of humor to get through things. Love you and thinking of you!!! Lana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being so open with your post. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you are going through this right now. Oh how I wish the wasn't the tune so many of us hear at this moment in our economy. I love how you cry a little an then snap into action, listening to the spirit, instead of doing nothing and feeling bad for yourself. You are a good woman! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, bless you and your family, Erin! I had no idea this was going on because I don't keep up on facebook. Things always work out somehow. Sometimes you look back and realize how the timing was always way better than you could have ever planned and that God knows what you need right now. And. . there is always more to be learned. :) I am trying to learn that one right now. You will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Erin! How I LOVE YOU! How I wish I could be there to put my arm around you and we could sing some songs together. I know that things will work out for you guys. You are so awesome and so faithful, the Lord will bless you! Has Shaun tried Costco? That's where Derrick works and it started as a job and is now turning into a career and good money. I will keep y'all in my prayers. LOVES!

    ReplyDelete