Monday, June 13, 2011

Gardening June 2011

Here’s the garden in full bloom! I’ve tried some new plants along with the winners from last year. Well, we didn’t have anything winning till I discovered the Dipel dust. 90% of my tomato plants were destroyed by nasty hornworms. In August, I used the dust on the last remaining grape tomato plant. For the next few months we had an abundance of tomatoes. It was awesome. So, every few weeks or so, I sprinkle the dust on the plants. So far, no damage done by worms, woo!

Here below are three bell pepper plants in the cage. They shade each other better from the intense heat by being three plants in one hole. On the left is Nasturium, a plant that’s supposed to ward off bad bugs, and is a great bushy plant for boxes. The purple is the Verbena, a hit from last year. Verbena does awesome in the desert heat.

100_0081

This type of purple verbena blows my mind. That’s one plant! It is a super mulch plant, covering almost the entire box. I love how it hangs over the box. That image takes me back to sunny streets of Santa Barbara, with lots of potted plants resembling thisSmile100_0082

The cherry tomatoes, ahh! Two plants alone have taken over the entire big bed. It’s like an easter egg hunt digging for the harvest. Such fun!100_0083

There are about 5 large tomato plants in there, consisting of Heatwave and Hawaiin Tropic. So far, the Heatwave have impressed me. Big clusters of large tomatoes are coming. Sweet! Next year, a small bed will be built just for the cherries, and this big bed will have only big tomato plants, as they don’t crawl as much as the cherries.100_0084100_0085

Trying to grow some green beans and cucumbers up the trellis.100_0086

I wish I knew why the grapevine is so stagnant. Still figuring that one out. The strawberries gave a great harvest earlier this year, and went dormant again.100_0087

In the herb bed, I threw in a  few watermelon and cucumber plants for fun, and because they wouldn’t be crowded  by the cherries. We’re going to have the watermelon grow up some chicken wire soon, on the wall. 100_0088

Green onions!100_0090

Parsley, and chives in the front, yum!100_0091

These are my happy flowers, Cosmos. Going to school in Rexburg, ID, I saw them in abundance in people’s yards. They bring good memories of those chapters to me. I think its important to not forget the good times in your life.100_0092

We also have this random tomato plant that decided to grow in the desert soil. Crazy! So, I put an extra drip there and we’ll see how it does.

100_0080

So, that’s it so far. I have a ton of cherry tomatoes that I will be roasting and pureeing for a tomato sauce. So heavenly. It’s so fun to garden here!!! All you need is good soil, raised beds, drip irrigation, and a knowledge of what plants grow here. Apparently, cherry tomatoes do greatSmile

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your garden. But proud of you for being such a good gardener. Can't I be both simultaneously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, your garden looks great, I"m so impressed! Especially because you're pulling it off in Las Vegas desert. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the purple. So vibrant!! I'm still waiting for my corn stalks to produce actual corn. :-D

    ReplyDelete