Thursday, June 30, 2011

My handsome men

One Sunday, the boys were all matching with Shaun, and looked adorable. I begged them to go outside for a picture. Love them so much.

IMG_9817IMG_9820

As you know, church with young kids can be quite the challenge. We’ve found at least one thing that has helped. We’ve been making personal snack bags for each kid, filled with various types of cereal. They love Capn Crunch. Before, we had one snack bag, and that didn’t work so much. This works much better, and has helped them make it through the 45 minutes of sacrament meeting. I try to rotate the toys and books out each week, so they don’t get too bored. We also have been blessed by a sweet family that we share a bench with. Their kids are so kind to our boys, and play with them. Huge, sweet blessing.

For my continual quest to learn how to be a better mom, I’m reading this book:

It’s a beautiful book, and has great thoughts. Here’s one from this morning’s reading that I really liked:

“The prayer I say most often in seeking to be filled with the love of Christ is to see my children as Christ sees them. This prayer has never failed to produce a positive change in my heart. For as we seek to see our children-or anyone else for that matter-through the Savior’s eyes, he opens our eyes to a clearer vision of how precious they are, how truly loveable they are, even on the days when we’re not at our best.”

Isn’t that beautiful? Some days are great in parenting, and some days are quite the bucket load. We’ve been going through some rough patches with the boys. Just normal stuff of hitting and boys finding their independence. Totally normal, but still draining for the Mama. Yet, reflecting on this week, I’m glad that I’ve had the hard days, because I feel that I’m walking away from it with a greater level of patience and understanding for my little men.  Those days actually force me to slow down, and to pray more earnestly. For that lesson, I am truly grateful. I am trying to have that clearer vision of who my boys are, and what great things they came here to accomplish. I’m sure they will do better things than sneaking into the chocolate stash (for me, ha, ha) unrolling the toilet paper to get the ‘telescope’, and blasting the house with the hose. Funny stuff that we’ll look back at and laugh.

I just wanted to share these thoughts today. Thank you always for your kind thoughts and encouragement for a newbie mom in the trenches of motherhood. I’m so grateful to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Erin! I needed to read that today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a neat thing to pray for. That quote is totally going on my mirror! As a mom, I need that perspective more than anything.

    ReplyDelete