Friday, November 11, 2011

Olympic event: shopping with kids!

Yesterday, I braved shopping at Smiths and Costco with all three kiddos. I made it! Brooke slept the whole time in her carseat. I stuffed Kevin with a bagel from the bakery, and he sat contently in the shopping cart while I piled food around him. I had him help me put the food in, and he enjoyed that. I kept a constant watch on Ethan, herding him close, as he gets distracted a ton. All the while, trying to look over the carseat to see what’s in front me and not ram into other carts. It’s really a financial blessing to take all the kids to Costco, because I could not browse through the heavenly book section and be tempted to buy something. I came home, unloaded the car while Brooke kept sleeping and the boys played in the driveway with their bikes. Olympic event!

Lately, all the boys want to hear is Adele’s “Rolling in the deep” song. I played it once in the car, and they loved it. I’ve tried playing other songs on her CD, but Ethan informs me “That’s not Adele!” Funny. We all crowd around my phone and watch the music video on youtube, and then the Jon Schmidt/Steven Sharp Nelson version. We put the phone on the piano, play the Jon Schmidt video, and I play along with it. The boys love it. Thanks, Mel, for sharing Adele with us! Smile

Brooke is doing wonderful. She’s such a sweet and content baby. Only cries when she’s hungry or has gas. I nurse her, and sometimes have the boys on top of me, Kevin shoving his face into hers to say hi, and Ethan sitting on my right shoulder. The couch is more than 6 feet long, but yet we all seem to smash together in the corner of it while I nurse. My life now, ha ha!

Today, I’m going to try to not stress over stupid stuff the boys do. It uses too much vital energy that is needed for positive outlook. There’s already so much to discipline and teach these kids. Why am I adding to it with things that don’t matter?  It’s ridiculous, and yet I find that its an easy trap to fall into. So today, the goal is to chill the heck out!

2 comments:

  1. I love chilling the heck out! :) No, seriously, I know what you mean. It's easy to get stressed out over the little things. Chilling the heck out is my new motto :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. Some days I do really well, others, not so much. I guess we just learn from it and do the best we can. My newest thing is just stopping and saying a prayer to give me more patience. You sound very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete