Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gardening 2012

At last, gardening pics for this year! I had a few moments this morning to blog, so here’s a glimpse at what’s been going on in our lovely oasis in the middle of rockville, Desert land:)

Here’s the garden around November last year. I wanted to show you the size that broccoli plants can get, huge!! There’s two big ones in the front here, with an old tomato plant that was about done. Broccoli was the winner all through the winter, until the aphids got too horrendous. I pulled the broccoli out around February, and made way for tomato plants.

IMG_0406[1]

March 2012. The pepper plants in the tomato cages. You plant three pepper plants in one whole, and they will shade each other better. The lovely purple verbena, before the dang dogs decided it made a nice snack.

IMG_0610[1]

The tomato plants I got from Star Nursery, Heatwave and Hawaiin. Big ones. We’ll see how they do. If you notice the shiny tape hanging, it’s red reflective bird tape. Last year, I had a heck of time with the birds swooping into the beds, and eating the fruit. I’d see them from the table, and I’d get all wound up. It was funny. I heard that this tape really keeps the birds away, as it’s bright and shiny. So far, no birds have even flown near that area. Here’s hoping!

IMG_0611[1]

I went to a sweet lady’s house in my church, and seriously, her back yard really did look like a Better Homes and Garden magazine. She had all the right plants for the desert, and they were in full bloom and gorgeous. I was so amazed, and thought “ I gotta do this!” She had lantana plants all next to each other, in differing colors. So, I got three of those plants, and in time, they will big and bushy. So excited!

IMG_0613[1]

There’s always one plant that turns monstrous each year. This Italian Parsley plant decided to do that!

IMG_0615[1]

I went to Plant World to see the Tomato lady, Leslie Doyle, teach a gardening seminar. I get so excited over these opportunities. It always seems that I’m the youngest one there and the only one that brings my own camping chair for comfort. She talked about the local gardeners that have tried her methods, and asked if anyone was there. My hand shot up all excited, and I’m sure I looked like a dork, as I was the only one with my hand raised and super gung ho to be there.

Locals, if you haven’t been to Plant World, it’s good times for the kids. It’s practically a zoo, parrots, toucans, macaws, fish, turtles, and more birds squacking everywhere. Fun stuff!

IMG_0638[1]

Now, here’s the tomatoes from this morning. They are doing splendid in the big bed! Lots of straw for mulch. For the love, please mulch! Who really wants to weed? :)

IMG_0662[1]

The grapevine sure looks promising. Maybe we’ll get some grapes this year. Last year, I sprayed it with a not so good spray for bugs, and it was done for the year. Dang! This year, I’m being much more careful.

IMG_0663[1]

IMG_0664[1]

If you have plants that are doing crappy, don’t feel bad. Me too, as you can see below. I got this planter from my lovely neighbor, but the tomatoes have not grown an inch since I planted them. I think they might be getting too much sun all day, not sure. Sometimes, you just don’t know what’s going on.

IMG_0666[1]

Here’s our chicken coop so far. Exciting! Trying to get it done before the killer heat comes, which is coming fast. 98 degrees, and it’s not even May yet. Oh boy, hot summer this year. I feel like I’m trying to get stuff done before the summer gets here, because it’s hunkering down time then. We don’t get out of the house after 1pm. It’s just too darn hot, triple digits. I remember visiting CA last year, and being amazed to sit outside at 3pm. It was so pleasant, and simply could not be done back home here. Yet, I love the water play! Every day, we’ll get out to the water parks nearby, so the kids don’t get so much cabin fever. I’m usually the only parent that gets as wet as the kids. I’m so silly, I just love the water.

IMG_0665[1]

I’m so thankful for a back yard. I love that we have somewhere to escape too, to explore in the bushes, and for the trees that give us some shade. LOVE having trees! The chickens will be good times. Free, wonderful tasting eggs, oh joy!

2 comments:

  1. Totally Jealous, I have some starters that have just not done too well, I am thinking as much as I would like to have a green thumb I have a black one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garden is actually going quite well. Haven't had any bird visitors yet, I may have to get some tape. I think in the fall we will get some Tomato lady soil and go for this full force. My kids were thrilled to find a tiny strawberry on the plant yesterday. So fun!

    ReplyDelete