Monday, April 16, 2012

Live each moment

Humbling things have happened that have reminded me to slow down even more, and savor each day. Recently, I was driving home and stopped at the light. I saw a dear mom on her bike, pulling a bike trailer with her sweet daughter. Last year, this mom lost her husband to cancer, an incredibly hard trial. I thought of her, observing that she was out trying to enjoy the world with her daughter, making the most of the day on their bikes. I thought about how very hard her days must be, missing her best friend, and yet she continues to come to church, and keeps pressing on. She is a pillar of strength to me. I came home, and tried better to tell Shaun one more time how much I love and appreciate him.

A kind and soft-spoken missionary I served around in Florida just lost his young wife to cancer, leaving him and his little daughters behind. My heart broke for him, and last week, completely out of nowhere, a friend of mine from church passed away in her sleep, leaving her husband and two sons. I simply was stunned. She was so kind to my family and I. When Shaun lost his job, she brought us free food each week. She brought us clothes for the boys, and she always smiled. She lifted me on days when the boys were being stinkers. She helped Kevin in his church nursery class. She was just a wonderful woman, and I don’t understand why she had to go home now.

I attended her funeral, and it was very special. I loved her husband’s remarks, to keep pressing forward, not backwards, and his humble testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Today, I will try to remember how very short life is, and that we just don’t know if that friend will be there tomorrow. Truly, to live each day to the most. I will try to be a little more patient with my boys, to hug and tickle them more, to get close to Brooke’s face so she can reach up and touch my hair, and to hug Shaun tighter.

Here’s us working on our chicken coop, my dear husband slaving away for me:)

IMG_0692IMG_0738IMG_0751

No comments:

Post a Comment