Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spiritual food

For the past few days, all of us except Shaun have been sick with colds. Well, I think Brooke might be teething. She’s been sucking on her fingers a lot and has a fever. Shaun has been a saint taking care of us all, having extra patience with the boys and their needs. We all oiled up with our Doterra oils, and have been couch potatoes watching General Conference on our laptop, the twice a year event where you can hear a prophet and apostles’s messages of hope, faith, and endurance through tough stuff. Check it out here:)

I’m so thankful for internet and iphones. Since we don’t have cable anymore, the laptop worked great for watching the talks. We did our best to eat popcorn with the boys, which held them still for about 10 minutes, and watch together as a family. It’s always tough to listen to conference with little kids. You’re not able to soak in any of the talks really, with all the racket going on. Yet, one talk was fun where we listened for words the boys knew like ‘scriptures, Jesus Christ, Nephi, the Book of Mormon’, and would repeat them as fast as we heard them. That was fun. After we put the kids down for bed last night, I dove for my phone and watched a talk without any interruption. Ah, it was great.

From what I could hear of the talks, I heard messages of strengthening the family, forgiving others, spiritual learning, and teaching moments with the kids. It felt wonderful to be fed.

Today, I was hit pretty bad with my cold. My head felt so heavy, and I could barely take care of the kids and function. Shaun made me go lay down in the bedroom, and took care of the boys. I propped my phone up on a pillow and watched some more conference talks. I love my phone!!

I zonked out somewhere during the talks, and woke up to see our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, closing the conference with his thoughts. The phone was so close to me that I could see his face so clearly. I saw the light in his eyes, and the kindness that just flows from him. A humble man who is being the Lord’s servant, has a jolly sense of humor, and has a burning testimony of Jesus Christ. I echo the words of the hymn ‘We thank thee oh God for a prophet’.

Barely had the strength to write this post, but I just felt the need to blog tonight. Hope everyone is feeling well, and enjoying each day they have on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment